Monday, August 10, 2009

Cooked food = Pain!

Good afternoon!

As I write this little blog it is pouring rain here in Vancouver and I want nothing more than to eat some warm soup.... but I now know that this would be too much! Here is why:

This past weekend I went to Salt Spring Island (which every Celiac should go because of the baker at the Saturday morning market.... AMAZING gluten free food!). That being said, I ate some bread and some meat.... boy was that a bad idea. I think it was probably the meat that did me in, but my stomach was definitely not ready for the pain, bloating, and overall discomfort. My body was used to easy to digest fruits and veggies, with some raw crackers from time to time maybe, this was way too much and I have not felt that bad in a while. It was mainly due to my stomach feeling stuffed.... like I had a small child (in the form of starchy carbs and meat) in my stomach.

Needless to say I am very happy to be back on my simple fruits this morning! Berries, banana and salad with some humus on the side!! I will keep you all updated as things move along this week! and I will also post a great recipe later this week.... lets just say it involves the most filling of raw veggie wraps!

As I was doiny some research I stumbled accross a website which listed numourous health benefits to a raw food diet, here area few:

Increased energy
Improved skin appearance
Better digestion
Weight loss
Reduced risk of heart disease


Most people with Celiac have a tough time with digestion, duw in part because of years of stressing our intestines and also because of lack of fiber. For everywhere that you have gone undiagnosed or ate gluten, your body began to form scar tissue. Now this is not common in everyone who has Celiac, but I for one know that my body is still healing from years of scar tissue build-up. Sometimes when I eat too much food, or a certain kind of food I can feel my stomach pulling or tugging and it is very painful. My doctors have basically told me that it is scar tissue build up from being sick for so many years.

That being said, a raw food diet can greatly increase your flow of food (if you know what I mean). Because you are not only eating clean, easily digestible food, but you are also eating fiber packed food!! Which is great for people with Celiac who seldom meet their daily 30g requirement!

So go ahead try to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in your diet instead of that extra potato or chocolate dessert. See how it makes you feel!!

Food for thought: Next time your walking through the woods and think wow this is nice... stop, take a deep breath and smell the clean air! This will not only calm you down, but will also clean out stale air and make you feel better! :)

Cheers,

Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment