Monday, November 22, 2010

Apps (as in applications) to make travelling GF a lot more fun

Good morning,

As I was playing with my new iPhone the other day I stumbled across an app for gluten free restaurants!!!! It was such an amazing find, and honestly justified the purchase of the phone! I was so pleasantly surprised that I decided I needed to share it with you. This app is called CeliacFeed for the iPhone but there are also great websites (if you don't have an iPhone, android or smartphone yet). I also found other apps but this one seems to be the best at reviewing my location and suggesting restaurants for me. I also like the fact that I can read reviews and also write reviews about products and restaurants!
If you don't have an iPhone yet, check out this site: Gluten Free Registry

The gluten free registry does have an app but I didn't find it to be as good as the website. So next time you need to head off on an adventure, make sure to check out these apps and websites to help you make the trip that much more fun! I know when I started travelling I would rely on smoothies and trail mix, but those snacks won't ever fill you quite like a yummy gluten free pasta meal! :)

I don't really eat fastfood but I was able to find a few good apps that allow you to see the allergen list to all products at fastfood restaurants. A really helpful tool, especially for travelling with kids who have allergies, here is the link, but I suggest just going on itunes and searching for it: Allergy Free Passport

I have also posted some links to my favourite restaurants throughout my blog posts, as well as linking other sites with great information on travelling with Celiac.

Moving on to something a little more exciting... The snow season has started here in Vancouver and I was lucky enough to head up to Whistler for opening day!!!! This has got me thinking about gluten free, healthy lunches that can fit in my little pack or pocket. Although I will be purchasing some lunches on the mountain it does become expensive (fyi. the Roundhouse offers gluten free stir fry, in the cafeteria, if you ask the cooks nicely!) Here are some really great and easy options:
1. Gluten free bread or wrap with peanut butter and a banana (its so cold that the banana kind of freezes to the peanut butter and stays pretty well ripe-looking and not brown.
2. Cup of soup, gluten free mixes. These can be bought at health food stores, and usually only require the use of a bowl and some hot water (this is perfect for those really cold days)
3. Vega smoothie packets.... although these aren't overly satisfying in the way of a stew or soup, they will give you all the nutrition you need. Add them to juice for an extra kick! Vega Smoothies


Good luck with your gluten free adventures and post your tips and tricks! I'm always looking for more snack ideas while out on the road (or on the hill)!


Til next time,

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment