Friday, March 13, 2009

Hidden Gluten - Flavoured Tea and drinks

Good morning!

I was drinking tea at work the other day, and my co-worker asked me to try this new white tea from Lipton (i think). I thought, why not.... sounds interesting! Now usually I am pretty good at reading labels, but this time I only thought to look at the ingredients after pouring my cup, but before taking a sip. Turns out the artificial flavour in my tea contained wheat. Let this be a lesson to all of you who love tea, or anything with artificial flavour. Always, always , always read the labels.

Secondly, citric acid made in other countries other than the US and Canada, can also contain gluten so make sure to read the labels. And if you are planning a trip down south, be careful with the drinks that you choose to have at the open bar, they could contain citric acid.
Usually sour tasting drinks will have citric acid, as it tends to make a drink taste sour without it being too overpowering. I always opt for some spirit such as vodka with lime and perrier, or water!

I also want to point out that not all alcohol is gluten free. This was another one of the" find out the hard way" experiences. Generally vodka, gin and rum are gluten free, so long as they are not disitilled with grains. The more expensive vodka's are distilled with wheat...... so be very careful! I always opt for Sky Vodka, or any other cheaper kind. Its best to check with your liquor store.
You should also watch out for drinks at bars, but luckily most use fairly cheap alcohol when they are making your $10 drinks.

I'm sure that this is going to sound crazy too some of you.... we already need to look at every single food label, why do we also have to look at drinks. How can gluten, a substance that helps make things stick, be in our drinks?? Well, truth is, gluten is found in so many common foods because it is a great "filler" and lets be honest, none of us want to be eating filler anyway. We want to enjoy eating food that makes us feel great!!! So start reading every label before you buy or consume a product! It is much better to be safe than sorry.

Ok, now to end this week on a positive note! Flourless GF peanut butter cookies. The recipe below makes the BEST cookies ever!!!! I have made them for my family, friends and even some boys, who loved them! Enjoy :)

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup super chunky peanut butter (I use the organic kind from the Superstore, no additives, just roasted peanuts!!)
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup miniature dark chocolate chips (optional)


Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients until well blended, spoon onto cookie sheet in small round balls. Use a fork, dip in hot water and flatten cookie tops. (The hot water helps the dough not stick on the fork). Bake for 10 minutes, depending on your oven. Cookies should look a little puffed and edges turning brown. Let cool for 5 mins.... toughest part because you really want to eat them, I know!!!! Indulge with a big glass of soy milk, or skim milk if you are able to tolerate lactose!

I hope this recipe starts your weekend off on the right foot! It always helps me:)

Have a great weekend and keep your feedback coming! Look out for my where to eat guide for Montreal and Toronto coming soon.

Happy eating!

Ally

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I know that his was posted moons ago, but I just chanced upon your blog when searching whether Perrier flavored seltzer is gluten free and I must ask you...are you sure you didn't leave any ingredient out of this recipe because there is no flour listed and I'm wondering how it becomes a cookie without any flour....I mean GF flour of course.....And I loved reading your blog, it's like hearing myself tell my stories....

    ReplyDelete